Saturday 3 December 2011

Loving cappuccino everywhere.

Raccolta di video Latte art. Blog Daniele Votta
I come from Italy where cappuccino is a sweet "good morning" must.
Every morning  lot's of people up and down the country line up to the bars, how we call coffee shop, having a cappuccino with croissant.
I love it.

When I moved to London, I realize how cappuccino has become famous also abroad. Every restaurant, cafè makes it and in the coffee shops you can find a big range of variety of it. Starbucks, Caffè Nero and Costa offer frappuccino, iced-cappuccino, mocha..you can get crazy!

Favim.com
However the cappuccino made in UK is totally different from the original Italian one.

First here it's a super-size cappuccino.
In Italy is smaller, with a traditional squirt of steamed milk over a shot of expresso, usually served in a ceramic cup.

Cappuccino is a popular drink of gastronomic Italian culture, as pasta and pizza are as food.
The great success abroad not always guarantee the same product.


How describe the international cappuccino?

It can be compared to the Italian variant caffelatte, that has extra added milk, or to the big American coffee mixed with milk.

The difference is not only the size.

Here it's common to put chocolate on the top. I hate this! It spoils the taste of your drink.   Every time I have to remember to lift it, instead my cappuccino comes out alway with the chocolate dusting.

Another point is that here it contains more caffeine. The reason is that the classic one has only on 25ml shot coffee. When I take a cappuccino here they usually put 2 or 3 shots of expresso and it becomes so strong that I could not drink it.

A recent analysis  from Glasgow University has tested caffeine levels in espressos bought from 20 High Street coffee shops and  has found that one was six times stronger than others.

Alan Crozier, senior research fellow who lead the analysis, said: "The analysis that we did showed the amount of caffeine ranged from 50mg per cup from Starbucks, up to over 300mg per cup from another coffee house, Patisserie Francoise. I was very surprised by this."

You have to pay attention how many cappuccino you are taking because too much caffeine in your body is not healthy.

Finally cappuccino in UK is much more expensive. In Italy drink standing up costs between 1-1,40 euro. Here you pay usually more than £2.

However I like drinking  my big cappuccino.
I just ask for one shot and no chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment