Tuesday 29 May 2012

Athletics blind training


Be prepared for competition is hard work. It required a strong motivation, passion for sports and regular training. At the Battersea Millennium arena a group of fit and enthusiastic athletes hire a coach to work on their athletics’ techniques.
All of them have sight issue: some of them are totally blind, others partially impaired.
First is running: a good warm up on the track before the ready for the sprint. The next step is discus, followed by jumping and javelin.

Thank to my friend Odette Battarel, I had the opportunity to train with them. Odette is just amazing. She is a partially blind tennis player and professional coach in blind tennis indeed. She is also a keen organizer in different sports events for visually impaired people.

Athletes are preparing for the Annual Metro Athletics Championships hold every summer in London. This year it will take place on 16 June at Mile End Stadium, which different track and field events: from the 60m sprint to the 5,000m race, the high and long jump, shot put, discus and javelin.




William is 45 years old, but he looks younger because of his fit figures and his marvellous sense of humor. He is visually impaired, as Alice, Sarah and Andrea. For them the challenge is to compensate the lack in vision with an acute hearing and a strong sense of balance and geography.  Andrea stands out as professional athletics, silver medal in swimming at Dublin qualification in 2010. “This year I want to win my medal, and I go for that. I am good in the discus and javelin; I need to push on my running. ”


For Maria it is even more difficult. She is a totally blind intelligent lady: tall, fit and funny.  She came with her guiding dog, and was one of the most confident on the track. Speaking with Maria, I discovered she runs and swim regularly, and during the weekend makes time to ride a bike with friends.  Sport is also extremely important as a way to relax and have fun. “When you are blind you are limited in many things, and playing sport gives you freedom. Obviously it is important that the place is safe, and you have adequate support.”


The Battersea Millennium Arena provides the best environment, facilities and coaching for athletics and tennis. Our coach called Chris was extraordinarily good: competent in his field, but also very alert and patient in dealing with blind people.

Their training is tough and intense. There not difference related their sigh’s problems, just some devices in the coaching, which include more speaking and tutorial help in running for totally blind, such as Maria.  Roy helped him with some tips and advice helpful in training blind athletes.

Roy Smith is an ex Paralympics champion. He represented Great Britain in the 1980 Paralympics as a high jumper. Roy is also the founder of Metro Blind Sport, which is a British charity that enables blind and partially-sighted people to experience the same sporting opportunities as sighted people, and organize competitions and events in different sports: such as football, cricket, tennis, and athletics.
Roy has been selected as a torchbearer for the 2012 Games after being nominated by the Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB).

In each session, everyone was trying to perform at the best.  It was unbelievable looking their passion and the effort they put in every exercise. William reveled to me how much he love sport and his goal is being qualified.  “I have a normal like: a job, three children and sport is what makes me happy.  Sport is important for all of us. This why we are here today. Because we want to win.”

Andrea is even stronger: “Every day I go out, and I do my best in what I like. I go for it, and I grab it!”. I could see the same confidence in eyes as all the successful athletes have.

Blindness is not only a limit, as many people think. It makes you overcome other situations, and give you a positive attitude toward life.  In many cases, having a disability makes you more determined, and motivated in what you like and in what you believe. One of my best friends, who is blind use to say that: “It depends on what do you mean for being blind. I know what I want more clearly than others who can see perfectly. Many of you seem have a blurred vision in their mind. For some reason, they are blind.”

After three hours of training, I was tired, happy and burned. The sun was lovely, but too much for my pale skin. This is difficult to believe, particularly when I said I am Italian. 

No comments:

Post a Comment